Friday, August 16, 2013

a highchair makeover

I guess with this post I might as well announce that I'm pregnant.  We are expecting a little boy this fall and we're so excited!  I'm pretty sure everyone who looks at this blog already knows that though :)
 
Hubby is still in school so we are trying to be frugal (which is soooo hard!!  I want to buy all the cute baby things I see!)  I found this used highchair for cheap and decided to buy it.  The girl said it was in really good condition.  Well...when I went to pick it up I found out what condition it really was in.  First off, it was filthy.  Like didyouleavethisoutsidefor63years filthy?  And the material was a harder plasticky stuff and it had cracked and ripped in a few places.  So really, it was in pretty bad shape.  But here's a confession, I have a bad habit of not standing up for myself to strangers.  So I still bought it.  I had serious buyers remorse too.  But my mom reassured me that we would be able to get it cleaned up and looking great.  I literally took this thing outside and power washed it.  Like 4 times.  I was finally happy with the frame being clean and my mom and I went to the fabric shop.  I love how it turned out!  Let me put in a little disclaimer here.  I am NOT a seamstress.  My mom did most of the work on this thing, I pinned and gave opinions and helped where I could but without my mom, I probably would have trashed this thing and just ended up buying a different one.
 

Before.  The seat wasn't quite as ripped up when we got it but I forgot to take a picture so this is after we have started.


 
And After!  I love it!  I wanted to pick gender neutral colors so I can use it for future babies if we get a different gender one day. 
 
I don't really have a tutorial for this either.  I'm terrible I know, but since I don't really sew fancy things like this I have no idea what to tell you to do.  Luckily, someone else does though!  My mom and I loosely followed this tutorial.  We didn't do it exactly like she does but it helped to get a big picture and then adapt to our own needs.
 
Maybe next time I'll post about a receiving blanket I made Peanut all my by myself!  Then I can actually tell you how to do it :)
 
-Megan

3 comments:

  1. This turned out so darling! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent blogs. I really appreciates with your article. thanks for sharing useful tips with a wonderful, nice and simple photos.Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Useful information. Lucky me I discovered your site by chance,and I am surprised why this coincidence did not happened in advance!I bookmarked it.
    Mary S. Hernandez

    ReplyDelete