Monday, April 7, 2014

why I'm ok with being "close-minded"

Recently, a person who I was friends with on Facebook posted a status that said this: "In all honesty I've been posting a lot of controversial stuff recently because I have over 800 friends and that has to change. I'm just too lazy to go through them all and unfriend the ones I don't talk to anymore haha. So if you're offended then by all means unfriend me. I'm looking to declutter my life of those with closed minds."

Although I thought it was an interesting post, I just kept scrolling and didn't think much of it over the next few days.  She has different opinions than I do and has always posted things I don't necessarily agree with but that doesn't mean I don't like her or anything.  I just don't read the articles she posts if I don't like the sound of them.  I don't even get on Facebook all that often anymore so I really didn't think I would ever even notice what she was posting.  But then last night when I logged in, she had posted a picture with a caption on it.  A very vulgar caption.  The meaning of the caption itself was, again, something I didn't agree with.  Which wasn't the problem.  The problem was the glaring vulgarity of the language used.  So I went to her page and scrolled to see just what she had been posting.  Most of the statuses in the last couple of days were along the same lines.  I went back to looking through my news feed but it just kept bothering me.  I didn't want to unfriend her, because that meant I was close-minded right?

Then I realized something that to me was very profound: if she considers using vulgar language as being open-minded, then I don't really care to be.  I have a small baby.  One day he is going to get big and be able to read.  Do I really want him to be scrolling through my Facebook and come across something that has numerous ugly words and meanings?  Absolutely not.  And beyond that, I believe that if we surround ourselves with words and actions that aren't good, then we will eventually become desensitized and those words and actions might one day become our own.  I don't want that to happen to me.  I want to stay positive and happy.  I don't think I'm close-minded, I think I am logical and choosy about what I let in my life.  And if someone else thinks I am close-minded because I choose not to read some things or agree with some things, then I am perfectly ok with being that way.  In fact, I am happy to be "close-minded".   This life is too short to let ugly things be in our minds, hearts, and lives.  Someone is always going to think you are close-minded.  Don't let them bother you because there are millions of other people around who think you are completely open-minded.  It doesn't mean you don't like those who don't agree with you, it just means that we are all different. 



image source



So fill your life with whatever is important to you.  Be choosy and be happy.  I choose positive, Christ centered messages.


image source



-Megan


1 comment:

  1. Love this! I have been "blocking" or unfriending people because I don't care too much what they post... or if it is vulgar and such. It is refreshing to get on facebook and only see posts that I care about!

    ReplyDelete