Wednesday, September 3, 2014

a very easy receiving blanket and matching bib

My mom crochets around the edge of receiving blankets all the time.  I tried it once and it was just not my cup of tea.  But I still wanted to be able to give those nice homemade receiving blankets as gifts, especially after we had our little one and I realized just how many you need between poop, pee, and puke.  So I decided to try making a little "rag" receiving blanket.  It worked out perfectly!  It is also soo easy to make!  I am not a sewer.  Like at all.  However, I can do this one and so can you.  I took a few pictures along the way to explain how it works.  

Supplies:
Two flannel fabrics (preferably matching), 1 1/3 yards of each
Scissors
A sewing machine

Steps:
Pre-step. If you need to, pre-shrink your fabric.
1.  Lay your fabric pieces on top of each other with the right sides facing out.
2.  Cut out your blanket and your bib (I just used one I already had.  I laid it on top and then "traced" around it with my fabric cutter.  If you don't have one, the blankets I make are around 39" by 43".  Nice and big.)
3.  Sew around the edge of the blanket and bib, leaving a slightly larger seam allowance than you normally would, about 1/2 inch.
4.  Snip around the entire edge of the blanket and bib with your scissors.
5.  Wash and dry to get that cute edge!  (You don't really have to wash it again, just rinse it and dry it)


Here is my seam allowance, just a titch bigger.

snip snip snip

Here is what the edges should look like, snipped all around.

Washed and ready to give away!

When I made this I had bought the fabric a few months ago and when I pulled it out I realized I didn't have enough!  Darn!  The store had closed so I pulled together my creative wits and made the bib rectangle and sewed strips together to make it big enough.  I don't normally do that.

So here is the rectangle bib, usually I do the traditional wider at the ends and thinner in the middle.


I hope you try it and love it!  Let me know if you have any questions.  What is your go-to gift to give to expecting mommas?  I love to give a blanket and a pack of diapers!

-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment